Kayam Churna is a very famous proprietary ayurvedic medicine for constipation and easily available in a chemist shop. As it is not a traditional Ayurvedic medicine and one can get it without prescription. As it is proprietary medicine it’s formulae is not written in any traditional books of Ayurveda.
Sheth Brothers formulated and blended a mixture of few ayurvedic herbs to the powder known as Kayam Churna. Kayam Churna is effectively beneficial for treating chronic constipation and associated digestive problems. In India, many people take this moderate laxative and strong purgative mixture on a regular basis. This habit may be due to its frequent advertisement and easy availability. These properties help us to the evacuation of the bowels and gradually work in our body.
Occasional use of this mixture is beneficial whereas regular basis usage can develop a laxative habit by weakening the intestines and conflicting with natural peristaltic movements. In this article, we will review its actual health benefits, when and how to use, dosage, side effects, and warnings.
Kayam Churna – Key Ingredients
Kayam Churna is a powerful and intelligent blend of beneficial Ayurvedic ingredients like –
- Ajwain / Carum Capticum) / Carom Seeds / Trachyspermum Ammi: Kayam Churna has 11.5% Ajwain which is considered a very effective herb to encourage digestive liquids.
- Black Salt / Kala Namak / Saindha Namak: It has 18% Black Salt which is beneficial for bloating problems.
- Haritaki / Terminalia Chebula: Kayam Churna has 8% Haritaki which promotes more secretion, cleanses and rejuvenates our digestive system.
- Nishoth / Trivrit / Operculina Turpethum: It has 3% Nishoth which is a natural digestive herb effective in constipation, fatty liver, bloating, gas, abdominal pain.
- Senna Leaves / Cassia Angustifolia: It has 50% of Senna leaves or Swarna Patri which is a laxative herb that relives and treats constipation.
- Svarjiksara (Purified form) / Sodium Bicarbonate: This blend has 5% Svarjiksara which helps to relieve heartburn and gastritis with its antacid property. Also improves the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Yashtimadhu / Jethi Madh / Mulethi / Licorice / Glycyrrhiza Glabra: Kayam Churna has 4.5% Yashtimadhu which is an effective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory helps to treat peptic ulcers.
Kayam Churna – Benefits and Uses
Kayam Churna is known to be very beneficial for improving digestion and fight against gas, acidity, chronic constipation, headache, and mouth ulcer.
Relieves in Constipation
As we see the main ingredient of the Kayam Churna is Senna leaves which is a strong laxative. With the support of other herbs, Senna leaves make this Kayam Churna a very powerful natural remedy for constipation and medicine for enhancing the bowel movement.
It boosts the digestion and promotes more muscle movement of the intestine so that the food easily passes through the intestine. Regular intake of Kayam Churna helps patients of chronic constipation and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Kayam Churna Fight Against Hyper Acidity
Kayam Churna helps to fight and neutralize constipation related hyperacidity. Hyperacidity is a major issue because acid reflux generates burning pain in the gullet or chest. It happens when the eaten foods go back to the esophagus and sphincter near the joint of stomach and esophagus opens up in upward.
This sphincter opposite ward opening happens due to the pressure inside the abdomen called intra-abdominal pressure. This pressure generated due to several reasons but constipation the common one.
Prevent Gas Formation and Bloating
Constipation not only develops the poor performance of our digestive system but also can produce a high level of gas in the abdomen which creates much painful bloating sensation.
With its Svarjiksara content, regular use of Kayam Churna can prevent the gas formation, related uneasy feelings and also boosts up healthy microbial flora of the digestive tract and improves digestion.
Kayam Churna Treats Piles
Constipation is a serious issue and its chronic existence can also create piles which is a painful disease. Here also Kayam Churna helps to relieve constipation, easily passes stool and effectively treat piles.
Keeps Away From Headache
It sounds surprising that constipation can also create a headache. Constipation creates an irregular bowel movement, painful uneasiness in the stomach which causes a lot of stress which triggers our stress hormone. Constipation also prevents to absorbs essential elements from food which causes low blood sugar level. These two factors ultimately cause a headache and use of Kayam Churna helps in this condition very well.
Kayam Churna Improves Digestion
Already we are aware that Kayam Churna ingredients boost up our digestive fire and production of gastric juices. This promotes more breakdown of eaten food in our intestines and absorbs more essential elements and keep us healthy and strong.
Prevents Mouth Ulcer Formation
Constipation not only creates stomach related problems but it also prevents in the elimination of toxins from our body. Excess amount of piled toxins transferred to various organs through the bloodstream. This toxin carried to the mouth area can cause mouth ulcers which are very painful.
In this case, Kayam Churna is also very effective as it has Yashtimadhu which is an anti-inflammatory agent and relives in peptic ulcers (sore on the lining of the intestinal tract) and mouth ulcers.
Kayam Churna – Dosage & Directions
The normal dose is 3-6 grams (1-2 teaspoon). For mild constipation, 1 teaspoon is enough. One should not take more than 6 grams of it per day to avoid its side effects and undesired complications. Take this Churna with a half glass of warm water at bedtime before food. Warm water preferable as it increases the workability of this Churna) preferably at night before food.
The procedure is the same as Churna but the dose is 1-2 tablets depending upon the mild to the severity of constipation. Generally, 1 tablet is enough to deal with constipation.
The procedure is the same as Churna but doge is 1 Teaspoonful (5ml) to 2 Teaspoonful (10ml) with shaking bottle before taking. may vary, Dose may be adjusted accordingly individual result. Keep away from direct sunlight and store in a cool and dark place and do not store it in the refrigerator.
Kayam Churna – Side effects, Warnings, Suggestions & FAQs
Though it is an ayurvedic product, the laxative property can cause various complications if not suits you. Therefore kindly take a look of the following points –
- Very high dose of this Churna may cause severe alignments like stomach pain, diarrhea, and dehydration.
- One can develop dependency due to its regular and long term use.
- Some claims that its Svarjiksara content can decrease the sperm count and its quality if used for the long term. Therefore, avoid it if you are young and planning for marriage or undergoing treatment of infertility.
- This ayurvedic mixture contains Yashtimadhu which can create interference with people with diabetes, high blood pressure, high potassium levels (Hyperkalemia). Thus they should take medical supervision before taking this product.
- In the case of pregnancy, this Churna is not recommended unless prescribed by the medical consultant/doctor.
- It is not recommended for children due to its laxative property.
- Thus we can see overall Kayam Churna is a very good product for constipation but for the long term and permanent cure for constipation we must change our lifestyle routine, eat more fiber-rich food which will produce more stool, cleanses intestine and eliminates toxins from our body.
Product Price & Packaging (Approx)
- 50 gm Package – 48/-
- 100 gm Package – 85/-
- 200 gm Package – 154/-
- 10 Pills Package – 32/-
- 30 Pills Package – 90/-
- 100 ml Bottle – 70/-